Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Graduation

Often in life, there are challenges we face. Preslie has had her share (in my mom opinion) of obstacles to overcome. But, I also know and see first hand every single day, that God has given her an extra measure of grace, as well as, determination and drive to succeed. I've learned a great deal from her and I am proud of her perseverance and hard work.

Reading, writing and spelling have been a real challenge for Preslie. I noticed early on that things didn't seem to be clicking with her as they 'should' and I began researching and investigating ways to help her. Eventually, we were led to Scottish Rite because they have a strong reading program that gives struggling readers some tools to use to succeed. 

After being on a waiting list for many months, we finally received the call that it was Preslie's turn. We went to her tutoring appointment every week for the past 32 months. We then practiced the techniques in addition to our other schoolwork the other four days of the week. The program has opened up a brand new world for Preslie and she has gone from being a non-reader to a child who asks to read chapter books at night! There have been so many milestones along the way I can't list them all. But, I'm beyond grateful for her tutor, this reading program and Preslie's determination and desire to be all she was created to be. 

 There were times it seemed like it would have been easier for one or both of us if we just quit. Instead, we pushed through and overcame. Today, we celebrated her achievements. Preslie successfully completed all 4 levels of the Golden Gate Program at Scotish Rite. Very few children see the program all the way through, but it was an important life lesson to share with Preslie to finish what we start. And finish strong she did. The feeling of starting, finishing and reflecting on all she has accomplished has really hit home with her. I think she realizes how much she has achieved and the sense of accomplishment is very real to Pres. I hope she always remembers the feeling she had today as she begins and finishes other new and wonderful things in the future. 

She has sat at this little spot every week for the past 2 years and 8 months
The first certificate she's ever received and she is PROUD! 
A little Pei Wei to celebrate
She was also spotlighted in the Scottish Rite Summer Newsletter!
 What an honor and keepsake. 
We picked out a special frame and hung it in her room first thing when we got home!

Way to go Preslie. Way to finish the race! Well done!!






No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...