Sunday, July 20, 2014

Good Soil

Soil is critical in grown healthy flowers. Rick is repotting the flowers because they are not thriving. We bought healthy flowers months ago. We water them regularly and they are in the sun exposed they call for, yet they continue to look puny. It has to be the soil. 

I think there is a huge spiritual lesson to be learned here. Rick and I, as parents, are doing our best to raise our son and daughters into God loving, Christ following adults. That is my primary prayer for them and my mission field. We can do all the right things but the soil is critical. They must be growing in fertile soil. 

The parable in Matthew 13:23 talks about the kingdom of heaven being like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But, the enemy came and sowed weeds among the seeds. Then the bible tells us, he went away. The good plant, from the good seed, began to sprout. But, so did the weeds planted by the enemy. 

It also reminds me of the parable of the sower. A farmer had gone out to sow seed. Some of it fell along the path and the birds ate it up. Some fell on rocky places where it didn't have much soil. It sprang up quickly but didn't take good root because the soil was too shallow. The plant scorched when the sun rose. Some seed fell along the thorns and it grew big and choked out the plants. BUT, some seed fell on good soil and it produced a good crop. A 100, 60 or 30 times what was sown. 

We reap what we sow ~ Let them be sown in the good soil!
 

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...