I'm recounting a story Hunter shared with us. It encouraged me so much and I continue to be taught and blessed by my kids lives in so many ways. This is just one and I'm awed by the goodness and the faithfulness of my God. He is worthy! My prayer for anyone reading this - that you (and I) will trust God in the big and small things. That we will see Him when we seek Him and know His ways and His thoughts are greater and far better than anything we can think or imagine!!
***
Some days passed and he couldn't shake it. He went back to his truck and searched his room but the snacks were gone. Though hating the thought, he was sure someone had taken them. He was on his bed praying and thinking and he walked over to a member of staffs area who had come in for the summer. Sitting in the open were Hunter's missing box of 6-38 cent granola bars. All but one was eaten.
Earlier that morning in his quiet time, Hunter had been reading from Matthew 5:38-42
'You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic (granola bars), let him have the cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn to the one who wants to borrow from you.'
If you know Hunter, you know he loves food. I find it not to be a coincidence that the enemy would use food to 'tempt' Hunter. Afterall, he's been using food since the beginning of time. Hunter said he was angry. Angry someone would steal from him (even small things) and angry at the person who had stolen. I don't know much about this guy other than he was there to serve for summer. Hunter said he wasn't a christian and had come from England. Hunter had questioned in his mind many times why he was there.
So, Hunter was angry and he headed back to his bed to think and ultimately he began praying. Seeking wisdom on what to do, how to handle this and how to respond. He said he immediately felt God telling him to go buy another box of granola bars and give it to this guy. In his human mind Hunter questioned how this was the way. Afterall, the guy had already enjoyed almost an entire box. Give him more? This sounded insane. Quite frankly, Hunter said he did not feel like doing this. But, he couldn't shake it. He talked it over with a good friend and the guy encouraged him to do what he believed God was telling him to do, even though it made no sense. He remembered his reading passage earlier in the day. God had already prepared Hunter's heart and mind through His Word.
So, Hunter took off tor the store and he bought another box of granola bars. He attached a note to it explaining why he was giving this box of granola bars to the guy. He signed his name and he put the bag on the guys bunk.
Two days passed and nothing more was said. Then the guy came up to Hunter. He told him he didn't understand why he'd given him a new box of granola bars. Hunter told him how God had met with him that morning and as he'd prayed and asked for what to do, he knew God was urging him to give him the box of granola bars. Hunter told him he knew it made no sense and yet he knew he was supposed to do it, so he did. The guy told Hunter he couldn't understand it. He said for the past week he'd been questioning why he was even there and then this happened. They continued to talk and Hunter shared Jesus. Isn't that just like God!? I will continue to pray that this boy will give his heart to Jesus one day and God will continue to put people in his life who show him the love of God.
I'm grateful Hunter listened and obeyed even though it made no sense at all. I'm glad God immediately showed Hunter his plan and purpose and used that simple box of granola bars and the obedient heart of a camp worker to show His love to someone questioning why he was even there. He is sufficient and His ways are great! I'm challenged and I'm changed by this testimony of God's greatness.
I'll never look at a box of granola bars the same and I pray the next time I'm tempted to act in my human ways that I'll seek God and obey, even if it makes no sense at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment