While on our walk, we have to pass a house with two dogs. One dog is a yappy little weiner dog with long hair. The other dog is a massive lab mix of some sort. Fortunately, he cannot escape. Or he can, and doesn't know it. The weiner dog can get out. And does.
The weiner dog barks as soon as he sees us coming. As we approach his yard, he slides under the fence and out through a hole in the fence. Typically, we just have had the habit of continuing to walk as the dog barks and runs behind us. He gets within a foot of us and then runs forward to bite at Lexi's back legs. Lexi never bites back. She tucks her tail and cowers away. Additionally, Lexi, the protective, brave dog that she is *sarcasm* always moves to the other side of me so that I'm in between her and this dog. Thanks Lex. She's clearly a flight, not fight personality. I'm not.
So, one day I decided to do what the bible says to do in Ephesians. Stand firm. Two simple words with a lot of power behind them. So, the dog runs out and I stopped walking. Lexi looked up and me and moved to the other side of me. I pulled her leash around so that she was standing between me and the dog. On the side she moves, she's literally standing in my shadow. (Ps 91 reference) As if she can understand me, I begin encouraging her. Telling her this dog is bluffing. Stand up to him Lex, he'll back off. He has you afraid, but you're bigger. Younger. Stronger. I'm with you and he can't hurt you. And even though she doesn't understand my words, she trusts me and obeys. So, for a few minutes we just stand there.
Interestingly enough, the dog stopped moving. Continued to bark, but stayed a good distance from us. I started walking toward him and he moved farther away. We repeated this daily as we'd walk by his house. Eventually, he got to the point where he wouldn't even leave his fence most days. When he does, he's just testing to see if we will stand firm or run in fear.
I can't help but compare this little episode to our battle with our real enemy. "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around LIKE a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8. John 8:44 goes on to say, "He (satan) was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and father of lies." And lastly, Ephesians 6:10 says, "Finally, be strong in The Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces and evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore pu on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."
It's such a spiritual lesson for me. The lies I've too often listened to and believed. Those are not from my Heavenly Father. The more I learn the Truth, the more I recognize satans lies. Replacing my thoughts and satans lies (often the same I might add) with God's truth is life changing.
Just as Lexi moves over to stand in my shadow for protection, Psalm 91 tells me that 'whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High wil rest in the shadow of the Almighty." Somehow even this dog knows standing in my shadow is a safe place for her.
Standing up to satan and telling him what God has to say is the way to fight against him. He has no power. He just wants us to believe he does. God tells us He will never leave or forsake us. He is our strong tower, our refuge and very present help in time of trouble!


No comments:
Post a Comment