Nothing this Christmas has been typical for us, yet it's been wonderful in many ways, in all the ways that matter. The realization that truly, the only gift that matters is the one sent from Heaven. In love, to save us. Jesus. He is sufficient and more than enough. There's nothing to add to Him and we can't take away anything from Him. He is Lord of Lord. King of Kings. And, the truth that each of our children know and love Him as Savior quiets my heart and fills me with joy. He fills in all the empty places and reminds me over and over - He is the greatest gift ever given or received. This is the year that truth stood out more than ever.
On Christmas Eve, when the house was quiet and everyone was asleep, I sat and stared at the tree. No gifts wrapped beneath. Not on purpose, of course. Above the bare tree skirt, memories hung all around and between the ornaments shone light. Reminding me that He is light. We reflect it and in this dark world, in our dark hearts, we need His light more than ever. I studied the ornaments remembering how each came to be. What they represented. Knowing that regardless of how unusal the Christmas season had been for our family, one truth remained. He is THE gift. Our memories are a gift and no circumstances can change that truth.
Realizing traditions have value and meaning and my personality really thrives on tradition. Routine. Familiarity. Some started by my parents and some by us. All have been a part of our history and we like it that way. I like it that way. Enjoying traditions, creating and maintaining things familiar I've discovered makes me feel...safe. When one of the traditions is lost or replaced there is a sense of loss somehow. Most of the things we typically do, we didn't this year. Some on purpose, some on accident.
At the end of it all and even during it all, I was keenly aware that all I cared about was the fact that we were all together. What a priceless gift. This family we had built for the past 27 years was all together. And, it has been very good! Reminiscing of Christmas' past and looking ahead to Christmas' to be.
This year, being caught somewhere between Christmas past and Christmas future, the struggle, the challenge is to remain in Christmas present. And, for the most part we have done this very thing. One thing I know, I truly believe I was made to be a mom. Especially now, daily awed by the people God has entrusted to my care. That truth amazes and thrills me. Every day. Having them all here together for an extended time has been such a gift to me and Rick. I think, I hope, they'd say it's been a gift to them as well.
Maybe this Christmas will be the year we realize and always remember no gift wrapped under our tree can compare or replace the gifts we've opened with each other each day. Some traditions we will keep and carry on. Some we may not. New ones will no doubt be created. But most of all, no matter what, investing in our relationships on purpose. Letting them be developed and deepened. Family friendships cherished and protected. Preserved. Loving and taking care of one another's hearts. Leaving them better than we found them.
It's been a good year.
Memories have been made that we'll reflect on next year. And the years after that. Remember whens.
I am always...simply grateful.


No comments:
Post a Comment