Sunday, January 15, 2017

Strong Enough to Bend

We had a mild ice event this weekend, yet it never dawned on me that the ice would have a real impact. The grass was barely affected and the patio was only wet. But then, I saw the tree. My favorite tree. Covered in ice and almost touching the ground. Eventually, the ice would become so thick the branches would touch the ground. And my heart was sad. 

I love this tree. I mean as much as we can love a tree. But, I do love it. Rick knew how much I'd wanted a RiverBirch. I grew up with one those in our yard. I guess somehow those things that make us feel connected to our childhood, we never fully outgrow. Especially when it just such a sweet reminder of a season we cherish. 

In the house our kids know as home, we planted one in front of Hunter's window. It's still there. Maybe it brings that family smiles and becomes a symbol of home to them.  This past spring, we picked out our very own Riverbirch tree and Rick took great care to find the best place and he put it in the ground. It's in a place I see all the time and I love it. In the spring the leaves will grow thick and green and there will be a nest hidden in the branches somewhere and hummingbirds will fly to and from it. Tulips will grow beneath it and it will provide shade. 

Most of all, it will remind me of home. Home of then and home of today. 

I think it's safe to say that God cares about trees because there are roughly 50 verses about trees in scripture.  He put them in the garden, afterall. He tells us in Matthew that a tree is known by it's fruit. Metaphors are written about them as in Proverbs; A dream fulfilled is a tree of life. Gentle words are a tree of life and wisdom is referred to as the tree of life. Abraham worshiped The Lord near the tree he planted. Our Savior was crucified on a tree. 

To some, it may seem odd to pray for a tree, but to me it seemed natural to pray that this tree be spared. I happen to believe God cares about what may seem trivial. He knows my heart. He knows how I love this tree and that it's more than a tree to me. So, I prayed often this weekend that the branches would bear the weight and when the temperatures rose it would gently thaw and gradually stand up straight again. And you know what, it did. All of it. It appearts to be doing just fine. And I'm, once again, simply grateful. 


I captioned this picture strong enough to bend because I know it takes real strength to bend. To say no to the pride that insist on being right. To say no to the stubborness that insists I get my own way. To say no to the me mentality that puts any or all things me before others. To be willing to see things from anothers viewpoint. To hear anothers thoughts and listen, not in wait of replying. But, to listen so the other is heard and understood. 

Over and over in my head this weekend, and once in a while audibly, I sang an old song with some wonderful truths because this word picture, if I let it stick with me, may change how I see, think and act. And ultimately, how I relate to the people God places in my life. And I pray that God uses it as a constant reminder to me,  that it takes great strength - to bend. 




There's a tree out in the backyard
That never has been broken by the wind
And the reason its still standing
It was strong enough to bend


For years, we have stayed together
As lovers and as friends
What we have will last forever
If we're strong enough to bend


When you say something that you can't take back
Big wind blows and you hear a little crack
When you say "Hey well I might be wrong"
You can sway with the wind till the storm is gone
Sway with the wind till the storm is gone


When you start thinkin' that you know it all
Big wind blows and a branch will fall
When you say "Hey this job takes two"
We can sway with the wind till the skies turn blue
Sway with the wind till the skies turn blue


Like a tree out in the backyard
That never has been broken by the wind
Our love will last forever if we're strong enough to bend
Our love will last forever if we're strong enough to bend

















No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...