Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Ramblings of Love

Rick and I have reached the age of strange tests. Namely, the dreaded colonoscopy! We went together for our consult, because we tend to do things together. Even things such as this.  Rick opted to lead by example so I'd know what to expect. The day of prep was Sunday and all in all it wasn't that terrible. Of course, I was just the spectator, so to speak. Next Sunday I'll know first hand. 

Wedding vows say for better or worse, rich or poor, sickness and health. We've certainly been through all of those things. We've been to many doctors appointments together in our 28 years of marriage. Rick went to 90% of all my prenatal appointments with each of our 4 children. Additionally, he went to a fair amount of well baby check-ups.  He was my eyes, ears and biggest supporter at every cancer appointment, chemo treatment, surgery and follow-up. And now, we have put those seasons behind us and we're getting tests that 'mature' people endure to stay healthy! 

Yesterday, we got up early and off to the surgery center we went! There were lots of couples waiting together,a child with parents, and a family waiting on a mom. There were two older women who were there together and were clearly one anothers support system. As I listened to two of them reminice and laugh as they remembered days gone by I couldn't help feel a bit sad. It was bittersweet, I suppose. However, they were far from sad. They shared stories of recipes, a quilt one was making and it led them to memories of baby blankets their own children loved. How they struggled to get them to let the blanket be washed and they laughed. I bet it seemed like yesterday to them, just like it does to me.  Days when they were young moms and when they had their husbands. Now they were there for one another and I found it so sweet, yet so sad. But, girlfriends are like that and those sweet friendships sure do have a place in our lives. I'm grateful for mine. 

Silently, I was also grateful Rick and I had one another because there's just no substitute no matter how precious the friend. And I reminded myself to not take it for granted. Most days I don't. But, occasionally, I forget. 

We heard at a marriage conference once that you should always have a list of positive qualities of your spouse as reminders. Reminders to pull out when they irritate or you're angry at them. Reminders to help you move past the temporary and appreciate them for what they're characterized. Not the exceptions. No one wants to be judged on the exceptions. 

So, I guess that's where this comes in. While I try to be good about telling him, I need the written reminder. Reminding me so I can look back. In case I forget or neglect truth! His superior qualities far outweigh the negative. Rick is so kind to me. Consistently. He says nice things to me which he truly means,  takes good care of me, encourages me, is patient with me, accepting, loyal and loving. Never critical and never too busy. He always takes my calls and I  feel like the priority. More times than not!! I'm not easy, but he loves me anyway. 

Yesterday, he was so loopy after his procedure. However, his nature was sweet and compliant when he struggled to wake up. He said lots of sweet things to me as I drove him home. I fixed him some lunch and he wouldn't lay down and rest unless I laid down with him. So, knowing he needed sleep, I did and he grabbed my hand, as he typically does. I was just thankful for a good medical report, a husband who loves me and even when heavily drugged, consistently loves me and tells me sweet things. I'm thankful for this man and this life! 



No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...