Thursday, September 20, 2018

Empty, but Not

Around April each year, hummingbirds flock to our house. We’re not the only ones who get to enjoy watching them dive bomb one another and fly to and fro to the feeders I have stocked with sweet water.   I know we’re not, but sometimes it feels that way. Like they call this place home and return each year. Bringing others and having babies. And for several months though they are frequent guests, I’m always awed and amazed by them. 

They arrive suddenly, but always on or about the same day in April. I find it so amazing that God designed it that way. The sun rises and sets every day, yet it always seems brand new to me. Spring turns to summer and summer to fall. Comings and goings. Flowers bloom and fade. And as He says, for everything there is a season and a time for every matter under heaven. And then, they leave just as suddenly as they came. 

Today they were just gone. So abruptly it seemed and although I knew the day was coming, it still caught me be surprise. And that unattended feeder,  though full of food, just waits. And while I know they’ll be back in spring,  it somehow struck my heart heavy. 

That’s the way it is in this life. Days are fleeting. The years are short. Each day can feel the same and then you look back and nothing is as it was before. Yet, I know this truth. He is faithful in every season. I see it. And even when I don't, it is still true. 

I’m navigating a brand new season in life. I’m not the first, not the last, but for me it feels like I am. Some days, the house is extraordinarily quiet. Our big table seems enormous. But, like the hummingbirds, they do come back. And when they come and go, as they often do,  my heart embraces the moments that  turn into sweet memories. 

The feeder looks different, but it’s still very good. Adult children are fun and wonderful. My husband and my best friend is precious to me.  And, this season is also extraordinary and my Father reminded me twice this very day of this beautiful truth that spoke so sweetly to my soul- I have a precious history with this passage of scripture. It’s very personal to me and my Father knows it. And because He sees me, knows me and loves me, He comforted me with those words. - ‘Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.’ 












No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...