Throughout the last several months there have been a few, what I'd call themes, God has impressed upon me. One of the first and one that often shows up is simply one word
- COURAGE ~
I love words! I was one of those weird kids who loved defining word assignments that teachers liked to assign! I play lots of word games and a fun fact - I see words spelled in my head when I hear others talk and because of that I can spell most things backwards! Weird, huh!?
Anyway, I like to define words and consider what do they really mean so I can best understand.
Courage - bravery, without fear or depression of spirit; valor; boldness; resolution.
Rick and I had a regular nightly routine with our kids - baths, snacks, books and prayers as we tucked them in. Many of the books we read were from the series of Franklin (the turtle). They loved Franklin and his stories and one in particular always struck me ~ personally. Franklin is about to have an x-ray for his broken shell and he has put on a brave front until finally he breaks down in tears. His mom asks him why he's crying and Franklin says that he's afraid of the x-ray. She explains that it is just a picture of your inside and doesn't hurt at all.
Franklin wasn't afraid of the x-ray or the pain. He was afraid of people seeing that he wasn't brave. But, his mom goes on to tell him that bravery isn't the absence of fear. It's having courage to do what you must even when you are afraid.
I feel like that sometimes.
It's not uncommon for me to hear from people that I'm brave and strong. Maybe because I have a stronger personality or maybe it's my fight over flight mentality. I don't know. Maybe just because I've gone through some hard things. I'm not sure - I just don't always feel brave and courageous. I'm not. I believe fully that God has given me, ahead of time, all I need to persevere. He created me, knowing every day and what each day would hold. He knew what I'd need and He provides. But, the real strength and courage - It's His. He IS my strength (Psalm 18), in my weakness He is strong (2 Corinthians 12). He strengthens me (Phil 4). His grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12), He gives power and increases my strength (Isaiah 40), He renews my strength (Isaiah 40),He does strengthen and help me (Isaiah 41), His presence with me strengthens me (Deuteronomy 31), He is the strength of my heart forever (Psalm 73).
So, I just can't focus on me too long, and I'm not one to focus too long on feelings either because God showed me long ago that feelings can lie and they make a bad guide.
So, learning to acknowledge how I feel and process those feelings is an important part of the process we call life. For now, this journey involves walking through cancer treatments, a body I barely recognize, and more doctor appointments than I'd like and yet, it's just a season. And it's not forever and it's not without so much mercy! So much.
Drawing near to God quiets my soul. It prepares me for the day and sustains me through the day and keeps my perspective less like the world and more like the word. He says when we seek Him we will find Him. I am awed at the ways He meets me and speaks so personally to my soul. Just as I'm sure He does you. And it's not usually in extraordinary ways - it's usually in ordinary ways I recognize. He is extraordinary but He meets me and speaks to me in ways personal to me.
Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all who wait for the Lord! Psalm 31:24
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Be strong and courageous, Do not be afraid or dismayed before the King of Assyria and all the horde that is with him, for there are more with us than with Him. 2 Chronicles 32:7
And He said, 'O man greatly loved, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage,' And as he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me. Daniel 10:19
Wait patiently for the Lord; Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord. Psalm 27:14
God has spoken to my heart over and over again. One of the time is I kept having this nagging prompt to read 2 Chronicles 20. I mean it just would not cease. So, I got my bible and opened it up and began to read the chapter. It has since become one I read often.
The message - Sing and praise Him. Victory is His.
I trust Him in and through this journey and I will continue to praise Him just as Jehoshaphat did when he appointed people to sing praises to God for the splendor of His holiness.
Give thanks to the Lord for His love endures forever.
Many things happen when we choose to sing praises to God - peace is a by-product for sure and it's impossible to complain and fear in the midst of singing praises to our God. Many things happen to our heart and soul as we praise Him. Many things!
And you know one of the other things that happened as they began to sing and praise God?!
2 Chronicles 20:22 - As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes agains the men who were invading Judah, and they were DEFEATED! Enemies are defeated. Later in verse 27 the men returned joyfully to Jerusalem, for the Lord had given them cause to rejoice over their enemies. And the kingdom was at peace for God gave them rest on every side.
So, if you're having a hard time...just start. Just begin to praise Him. Watch and see what He will do! He inhabits the praise of His people!
He is worthy!
All for His glory ~
Mindi
No comments:
Post a Comment