Wednesday, October 14, 2020

One Down - 3 to Go

Kindness is one of the traits of the fruit of the spirit. In Colossians we're told to put on kindness- along with some other fantastic characteristics! God is kind toward us and it leads us to repentance. Kindness does that! If we pursue kindness we will find life we're told. In Proverbs kindness is on the Proverbs 31 woman's tongue! We're told to show mercy and kindness to one another. Endless passages about kindness of God and kindness of us toward others! 

Hospitality is a concept a friend at Bible study always encourages us to pursue and practice! It's so needed in this world. Scripture tells us that we shouldn't neglect showing hospitality to strangers and that by doing so we may have entertained angels! We're told to show hospitality without grumbling. 

Kindness is defined as good will, benevolence; delights in contributing to the happiness of another, gratifying their wishes, supplying their wants or alleviating their distress; Charity, hospitality.  There is a great deal of kindness in the world, but we often, too often, fail to give it or recognize it. But, I long to be kind and hospitable in action and word.

My first chemo treatment was last Thursday and everyone was both hospitable and kind. So nice to be in a place that is run well, shows compassion and kindness and creates an environment of peace. I've been praying for those caring for me and that we would find common ground along the way.  

As an update and encouragement for those of you who prayed that the port access would be smooth! It was and wow, was I relieved! There's been a new development of a cream that you can apply an hour before and you cover it up with press and seal of all things. It numbs the area and made accessing it a breeze! Mentally I didn't have a meltdown PTL  and the whole process was better than I could have imagined. Just 3 more sticks! 

I had a good visit with Dr. C and all green lights to move ahead with treatment number 1! And that is exactly what we did. I'm so grateful for the insurance policy of chemo and that my body is handling the effects well! 

Annie was my chemo nurse and I was just so impressed with her kindness and professionalism. They're so attentive and hospitable. Makes sense that hospital and hospitable share a core word - right?! I mean healing - physical or emotional - or both - takes place in both! I think there's a big difference between entertaining and creating a space that makes people feel wanted and welcome!At home so to speak. We've all been in homes where you feel like you can't kick your feet up or grab a snack freely! The focus there is typically entertaining. And if you've been in a home where you can - the difference is vastly different! That's the difference between hospitality and entertaining to me. One is work and more about the host. One is a matter of heart and more about the guest. Oh, I long to be hospitable. 

Infusion room as they refer to it, it's a huge room full of all kinds of people with all unique journeys, yet similar somehow. Everyone knows the common theme. Mostly women. Mostly older than me. But, all fighting to live. Thrive. Be healed. Strange in other arenas people trying to die - others fighting to live. 

They place you in a spacious cubicle and you can see over the tops to your neighbors. I'm sure pre-covid there were more interactions, but now somehow and quite sadly, that's limited. Masks abound and yet, you can see the smiles in the eyes! Eyes always tell a story, don't they?

I am sure they could tell I was new and some were kind and spoke sweet words of comfort and kindness. The chairs are both heated and reclining and the warm blankets created an atmosphere conducive to relaxation. At 2:00 my pre-chemo drugs were infused and from 3-5 the two bags of chemo drugs began. Fortunately, I had no ill effects and felt just fine the whole afternoon. 

Between reading, podcasts, coloring and texting with friends and family a bit, the nurses would come by and check on me. And, not surprisingly, Annie and I found common ground. It wasn't all that shocking, but somehow amusing, what the common ground was because I believe God uses animals in so many ways in our lives. We were discussing Swiffers because they are constantly cleaning. I told her I vacuum daily because we have a Golden Retriever puppy! That was it! Common Ground. 

She recently lost her 13 year old Golden Retriever, Betsy. So, we talked about what a hard thing it is to lose a pet who is a special member of families. I shared our new Golden Retriever puppy, Charlie with her and it brought her happiness!  I think somehow it brought a little healing to her heart. 

My sweet husband mostly spent the afternoon in the parking lot waiting in the truck. It's a large group out there waiting for their wives, husbands, children, parents or friends. A community of it's own. Yet, sadly more isolated. I'm grateful for technology and we got to stay in contact. 

Overall, physically,  I'm feeling pretty well! God has shown me so much mercy! So much! My biggest side effect through the weekend was a headache and I just can't complain too much about that! I'm feeling better daily and have much to be grateful for, no doubt!

In other news - yesterday, I bought a wig! I'm really just ready to rip the band-aid off! I'm afraid the hair loss will be harder on others than it will be on me. Hair loss is just a side effect of the chemo and it was harder the 1st time! I guess being 54 brings with it some confidence and acceptance that I fought against at age 37. Either way, it's a temporary thing and I plan to embrace and enjoy the steps along the way best I can! It will dramatically cut time off my get ready for the day routine! 

So, I bought a pixie style and it really is quite cute! As a confirmation of what I suspected - I do not look good as a blonde and same goes for grey! I think some can pull it off, but I'm not one of them! So, it's a bit lighter than my color now but mostly looks like me I think! Today, I'll go get my hair cut a bit shorter so the shell shock won't be so much! 

So, that's that! Tomorrow I will have a follow- up visit with Dr. C's nurse just this first time after treatment. I'm glad they do that so I can run by questions and receive feedback. 

In the meantime, I've so enjoyed hearing from so many 'old' friends along the way! Thank you for reaching out! I've so enjoyed the texts, calls and emails and cards. Love the face to face visits I've had with some of you as well!  

Somehow this gives me a taste of my favorite movie "It's a Wonderful Life" and getting a glimpse of how all our lives impact one another. Some ways we see now, some we won't know til later!  It's better to know those things in the land of the living! 

People just make life so much better! Thank you for making mine better!

All for His Glory - 

Mindi 


No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...