The way we spend our days is the way we spend our lives.
Thanksgiving ~ Is it a day? A meal? Or, is it an attitude that gets reflected in our days? Every day?! In spite of circumstances!?
Are we truly grateful people!?
I think far too often we are grateful when our circumstances look like we want, when things go our way, when life works out the way we plan. The problem with that is that things are always changing and expectations are often unmet. Then our gratitude becomes ever changing and conditional.
But our God does not change. His ways are higher and greater.
2020 has been a cancel culture for a variety of reasons and it's hard when it seems to dictate our days and ultimately our lives. But, if I've learned anything in life it's this...
I'm not in control.
Which is not easy for an enneagram 1 to learn. So, I choose what I can control and my responses to what happens is really key and ultimately one of the few things I have the ability to control.
And most of all, no matter what ~ I long and strive to cultivate a heart full of gratitude and thanksgiving. Every. day. And it's work. It's intentional and it's often counter cultural. It certainly goes against my nature at times. Many times.
For the first time since becoming a parent in 1992, I will not have all my chicks around the table today. Of course it makes me a little lot sad. But, I can't dwell on that because the reality is, the good news is, that it's not a cancelled event.
It's simply delayed and that's worth being grateful.
It's hard not to compare our circumstances. We've all got people missing from around our table this year for many reasons. Parents, spouses, children, grandchildren, friends. Some will never join in the feasting again this side of Heaven.
So, I just can't be stay sad about this delayed Thanksgiving. Because it's not a meal. It's not a gathering.
It's a way of life. It's a state of the heart. It's a choice of the mind. It's an attitude of gratitude even when, especially when things just aren't as we wish they were!
And it's this ~ making the most of the worst and least of the best.
I hope your not alone today and if you are, I hope you know the peace and presence only Jesus can give! He truly is the One who will never leave or forsake. Never alone.
Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise ~ the fruit of lips that confess His name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for which such sacrifice God is pleased. Hebrews 13
Happy Thanksgiving! Be thankful.
All for His glory -
Mindi
No comments:
Post a Comment