Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Five Months in Seclusion

As the days approach toward Christmas, one of the things I'm doing is reading a chapter of Luke each morning. Chapter one is full of wonderful insights and glimpses of God at work in lives of His children. The whole month could be spent in this chapter. 

Good news, doubts, fear, questioning, divine ways, ordinary people, unlikely people, prayers heard and answered, prophecy, family, seclusion, silence, singing, births, more singing, miracles, tender mercy, joy. 

And that's just in the 80 verses of chapter one. 

Elizabeth, we are told, was old and barren and she and her husband were well along in years. Scripture says they were upright in the sight of God. So clearly, in their case at least, infertility seems to be a result of living in a fallen world - not a punishment from God. 

It seems God often gets blamed for things. 

An angel appears to her husband, Zechariah, and says, as often angels do ~ 'do not be afraid' and shares good news that his prayer has been heard.  A son will be born to them in their old age. 

Their son, John the Baptist, would prepare the way for our Savior. He'd already been given such a huge calling and he had yet to be born. We all have a great call on our lives.  God prepares work for each of us and equips us to do the work He planned long before the foundation of the world!

Hard to grasp it. And I sure don't want to miss it in my own life. 

"How can I be sure of this" is what he asks the angel. 

It seems that Zechariah expresses doubt on how this could possibly be and I just get him so much. God's ways and thoughts are so much higher. Nothing is impossible with Him we are told in scripture.  But, the angel made clear the message ~ Zechariah doubted. 

I believe. Help my unbelief. 

He was struck mute for the remainder of his wife's pregnancy confirming that words have the power of life and death. Yet, we often fling them around carelessly. 

So, we're left to wonder why mute for the remainder of the pregnancy?! Maybe to keep him from continuing to speak doubt over his situation. Maybe to keep him from speaking doubt around his wife - causing her then to doubt. Maybe to keep peace in the home because as we read a bit further his wife's to remain in seclusion for five months. 

I think we can all relate to Elizabeth in some form or fashion with Covid and the year 2020, in general. 

Many of us have been secluded for one reason or another, for a short or long season. 

How do we respond? Because I'm learning that often my response is all I have control. 

I wonder about Elizabeth. Did she just treasure the moments of anticipation of her long awaited son? Did she sit waiting to feel him move? Did she dream of all the things her son would say and do and the joy he would bring to them, in their old age!? 

I would imagine the 9 months paled in comparison to the years waiting to become a mother. And the angel told Zechariah his prayer had been heard and it made me wonder, were they still praying for a child or had that prayer of years long ago, finally been answered!? 

I love what Elizabeth says ~ The Lord has done this for me. In these days He has shown me favor and taken away my disgrace among the people.

She focused on what He had done for her, not to her. Perspective. 

Later in chapter 1, Elizabeth's time to give birth arrives. God is never late, but it would seem rarely early either. His timing is perfect. And surely those nine months, five in seclusion, had to have challenging times for her. They've been challenging to me. 

The time has come for John to be born. When Elizabeth's neighbors and relatives hear that the Lord has shown her great mercy, their response is JOY! That's one of the fruit of the Spirit. Not something we can create on our own. 

Her family and neighbors share her joy we are told! God has shown great mercy and given a miracle to them.  Isn't that a wonderful response to God's mercy on our lives - JOY! 

Zechariah's song is beautiful and points us to Jesus. The Most High. Knowledge of salvation through Him. Forgiveness of sin through Him. The tender mercy of God by which the rising sun will come to us from Heaven to shine on those living in darkness in the shadow of death,  and to guide our feet into the path of peace. 

Those who do not know Jesus walk in darkness ~ as we all have before salvation.  But, there is hope. Jesus is the light of the world and those who receive Him get the gift of being called children of God, children of the light. Ephesians tells us that we were once in darkness, but now we are light in the Lord. Live as children of light. 

The fruit being goodness, righteousness and truth. 

I know I need that hope. I need to know and be fully persuaded that He is with me. That His light shines on me and He guides me to the path of peace. 

I will not be giving birth to a child at the end of what will be 5 months of seclusion. And the seclusion I am currently in isn't 100% as it was with Elizabeth. I get out and about on errands from the car, appointments with the doctor and I spend time outside and I live with people. But, from the time of chemo #1 through the end of radiation #33, I will for the most part have lived in seclusion for five months. October through February. 

I long for my response to be joy. Joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. What a great way to spend the days ~whether in seclusion or not. 

I just can't miss the message of that similar timing in my story. 

Elizabeth saw God's mercy, His work in her life, the joy He gave, the favor He showed, guiding her into the path of peace. And in the waiting, she no doubt had precious moments with Him as she fixed her thoughts on Him. 

I'm looking forward each day to what He continues to show me and trust that He who began a good work in me will complete it~ And at the end of this five months, those friends and relatives will share in the joy with me! 

All for His glory ~

Mindi




No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...