I'm a week out of my fourth and final chemo treatment. Thrilled to be able to say, I'm doing great and continue to just be so grateful that this chapter has come to a close. I'm grateful I have effective and proven treatment options that are and will be beneficial and successful in this journey. Not everyone does. I'm so acutely aware of it and I thank God for pouring out mercy on my life for the sake of His great name.
The book of Luke is full of testimony after testimony of miraculous healings. It's a wonderful way to build and strengthen faith. As I read in Luke 17 today, a familiar story unfolded.
One I've always pondered in my heart, especially since 2003 and even more now. I asked God long ago and regularly to give me a grateful heart. Let me never take for granted how richly He has blessed me.
Life looks different when it's seen through the lens of gratefulness.
Jesus was headed toward Jerusalem. He encountered 10 men who had leprosy. This meant, among other things, they were excluded from society. Dirty, unworthy cast aways. No physical contact with people. Quarantined. They "socially distanced" (v12) from Jesus. ;) They shouted from a way off begging Him to have pity on them.
Jesus is always filled with and motivated by compassion, because it's part of His character. Exodus 34:6 is the first time God describes Himself and it's the most re-quoted passage in all of scripture! And it's the first character quality in His description.
So, lets not miss it.
This is what God says about Himself - "The Lord, The Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin."
How can we confidently approach the throne of grace, to receive mercy to help us in our time of need if we don't know WHO He is and what His character is made?! Hebrews 4:16
So, the ten men asked for pity and Jesus responds. He tells them to go and show themselves to the priest. This was a necessary procedure people who had been cured had to do. After they showed themselves to the priest, they could once again enter society and no longer be cast out. So, in telling them to go He was in fact confirming they were, or would be, healed by the time they got to the priests.
We walk by faith, not by sight. Faith is being sure of what we hope for, certain of what we do not see.
And scripture tells us 'as they went' they were cleansed. Healed.
As they went! I love that because it's often in the doing, in the going, in the action combined with our faith that the work is done. Taking that step. Making the move. Doing what He says to do.
As we go!
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life! How can they follow me unless I'm moving!? Psalm 23:6
Ten lepers healed.
What happens next is one of them sees he his healed and he came back! And he doesn't just come back. He comes back praising God, in a loud voice! Maybe a loud voice like the one he used to beg Jesus for mercy to be healed. He threw himself at Jesus' feet and thanked Him for what He had done!
The mercy of God in the lepers life resulted in joyful worship. And, it reminded me of Elizabeth in Luke 1 that I wrote about earlier. Remember that the Lord had opened her womb and in her very old age had blessed her with a child, a son, John the Baptist. And when her friends and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy - they shared her joy!
Jesus physically healed all ten lepers. One of the ten was fully healed. He was physically healed of leprosy, but more importantly, as we see in what Jesus says to him as the man worshiped, 'Rise and go; your faith has made you well' his soul was saved. He was already physically healed, but now he also received the salvation of his soul. Jesus, now was his Savior.
I want to live a life being like the one! The one who returns with a grateful heart, rejoicing and worshipping the God of all creation. With Joy in my heart, praise on my lips, testifying of His mercy and goodness. Remembering His great mercy motivated by love and compassion and results in a heart full of joy and a life filled with worship.
To have faith in Him even when I don't see what He's doing. To have faith enough to praise Him in the storms. To confidently approach His throne of grace to receive mercy knowing He sees me. He loves me and He longs to be gracious to me.
And you.
And let us be the 10 percent. I am grateful He has healed me. I am grateful He has saved me and my name is written in the Lambs Book of Life and my eternity is secure!
Let us be grateful and let all that we are, all that we do and as we go give Him all the glory, honor and praise.
All for His glory -
Mindi
No comments:
Post a Comment