Friday, March 19, 2021

Eight months have come and gone since my biopsy last July. Between doctor visits and treatments, I will have had 72 appointments since July through completion of radiation next Tuesday. 

There will be more appointments to check-in every few months and as I move toward completion of reconstruction. My team of doctors is extraordinary! I thank God for them. But, seeing less of them is a welcome change. 

In some ways the days, weeks and months have passed so quickly. In some ways, I have moments I feel frozen in time and I cannot believe this really is my current reality. But, I know it is. 

There are moments that I’m shoved into this harsh world, one I would never choose or wish on anyone. But in other ways, without this I would have missed so many amazing blessings and moments God has given me. Ones I will never forget. 

He has sustained me day by day.

Going to radiation daily is oddly comforting and at times too much to process. After today, I will have 2 more radiation treatments. Next Wednesday I will not make that drive, wait in the waiting room, visit with my radiation buddies, chit-chat with the techs or lie on that table. 

I’ve met some amazingly wonderful people over the past 8 months. We’re all on a similar road. We share an unspoken bond and through masks, 6 feet and invisible protectors we all carry, we are so much the same. 

Cancer - just those 6 letters strung together to form that word just strike fear in the strongest of believers. My dad used to quote a phrase he heard during war - there are no atheist in the foxholes. Meaning, in times of extreme stress or fear everyone believes in a higher power - or at least hopes there is one! 

There are no atheist in the cancer world either. No doubt some people are still lost, but somewhere I know they’re all searching for hope in something, someone, other than chemo, radiation and surgery. 

Where does my help come from?! My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth

I’m grateful, so grateful, for modern medicine that I know God has ordained and directed. Doctors, nurses, techs who care so well for me and others like me! But, I won’t be seeing them daily after Tuesday. My treatments will be over and my visits more sporadic. I won’t forget the ways they’ve impacted my life, and I pray I’ve impacted theirs. 

But God. He never leaves or forsakes and daily carries my burdens. He is with me always and my hope is in Him. His word is life and His presence peace. 

He’s extended my life and been so gracious to me. 

All for His glory







No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...