Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Yesterday was bittersweet! 

For seven weeks it’s been a big part of my day. My life. I knew it’d be the last time I went for radiation treatment. The last time I’d be greeted by the sweet receptionists, exchange small talk with some, visit with Frank, walk down the long hallway finding common ground with the techs, lay on the table thanking God for using it to heal my body and knowing I would be doing something else at 1:30 in the days to come.

Tears came and words failed me. Somehow though, my new friends knew because they were there, too. A shared experience - even ones we may not want to share - they are bonding and hard to capture adequately with words. But, I still tried and God graciously let me speak and say what was on my heart. 

Frank and I had one sweet last visit and he said he’d miss seeing me, visiting as we waited and somehow I mustered the words I’ll see you again, in Heaven one day. Because I have that hope - that is not merely hope at all. Eternally secure.  Frank knows, too. We are bonded by more than a cancer diagnosis and treatments God used to make us well. 

I know Jesus and so I told him I’d miss him, but one day we will see one another again. Yes we will, he said and we’ll remember our visits in this room. Indeed. 

God bless you he said to me. 

Oh, He surely has!! 

God you bless you too, Frank

For the first time there was real physical contact with my new friends.  Hugs with the people who have been used to heal my body, and my heart.  People who made the days less scary. Through kindness and gentleness made the place I dreaded going, a place I’ll somehow miss. Not because I will miss the treatments~  I will miss the people. 

Those good-byes were hard. 

People are what make this life worth living. What if I had missed it? Distancing made it complicated. Mandatory masks made a barrier, and no one can read expressions, but from the first day I knew that while they couldn’t see my smile, they could hear my voice. 

My voice, my words, were not chained. Neither are yours. 

Greetings, a wave and kind words accomplish much. They opened the door for friendships to be formed and I’m glad I took the chance. I’m glad they did, too!

It was hard to walk away, leaving this behind as I get back to a life not dictated by so frequent doctor appointments and treatments. But, I walked out and looked up to hear the familiar voice and see the face of my best friend, my sweet husband ~ he was waiting for me. What a sweet surprise. People aren’t typically allowed to come back - I’m glad they make exceptions!

And together we will walk into this next season. One day at a time.  New appreciations for the preciousness of life. The gift of a new day, new seasons and the steady reminders we’ve gathered along the way that make our today and our tomorrows better. 

New beginnings. Spring has come. 

Learning to navigate the days will take some time. I’m still processing and adapting. But, I’m simply grateful that once again, God has extended my life, blessed me beyond measure, faithfully walked right beside me and continued to show me that He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love and faithfulness

Today is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad in it!

All for His glory!

Mindi 

No comments:

Don’t Miss

As the saying goes, we miss 100% of the shots we don't take. Sometimes I find I have to be forced to do things and rarely do I regret it...